Thursday, June 3, 2010

The Meaning of Torah

This morning I had an insight that I think explains, from my own perspective, what Torah is about and how it is written as a teaching tool.

The entire Torah is a dramatic description of life on planet earth and how we evolve. 
In the beginning, there is only God (I prefer the term Source Energy because there is less emotional attachment to that term).  Out of God, a separation occurs, Tohu Va Vohu.  This separation is the splitting of energy into a dualistic system.  Above and below, light and dark, day and night, physical and non-physical.  We choose to descend into the physical world because of the fun and joy to be had in creating and manifesting into physical form (physical knock-on-wood stuff, earth furniture) from formlessness, non-physical (these are our thoughts, and our entire life experience is created from the thoughts that we think).

In the Garden of Eden we find ourselves as Source Energy (God) in a physical body.  All of our needs are met and we are surrounded by only beauty and abundance.  But Adam (the earth being) and Eve have a desire to descend lower into a world of greater contrasting experience, an even lower vibrational plane.  Through the experiences of this first Earth Family and their descendants, a variety of desires are created for living a better life.  A life filled with Joy, Celebration, and Love.

Through these different stories a description of God (Source Energy) emanates from the character or characters who are having the experience of Source Energy.  Source Energy speaks to Noah in a way that only he can understand (it is a personal message).  Abraham connects to Source Energy through meditation and receives instructions this way.  Moses speaks directly with this Source Energy "face-to-face".  What Source Energy is in all of these encounters is the individuals God Self.  The part of the human that is connected, eternally, to Source Energy.  Every human has this capacity and we all express it our own unique way.  This is the differentiation of The One. 

So the entire Torah is the story of the returning to The One from the state of duality (this is best expressed by the ending of the Torah where Moses dies from a kiss from God.  Moses is re-emerged into Source Energy which is the inevitable fate of all humankind).  There is no death.  Just an ecstatic and blissful return into the furtherest point of expansion that we have created.  We are both the Creator (God, Source Energy) and the Created (human being, husband, father, tennis player, trumpeter, etc.).

What I have discovered is that my life is at its best when I am fully aware, in the moment, of both aspects of my being.  My eternal God self, and my physical human form.  When this happens, I am in alignment  between my Egoic personality self (that I have adopted in this lifetime) and my Higher Soul self (that is eternal and forever expanding).  In this state (also known as "The Zone") I am able to consciously and deliberately create my own experience.  From No-Thing I can create whatever I want.  From The Void and Formlessness comes Form.  In other words, I am simply an instrument of focused attention. 

No comments: