Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Waking Up!

I love coffee! For the past 10 years or so I have been making espresso every morning and always trying to brew the perfect cup. In the beginning I thought it was all about the proper grinding of the beans combined with a barrista expertise with my espresso machine (I use a La Pavoni Europiccola machine). I was ignorant about how the quality and the roasting of the beans were a part of the process to create 'the perfect cup'.

Once I started roasting coffee at home I was amazed by the results. I had made a quantum leap closer to 'the perfect cup'. I Woke-Up to the most important factor when it comes to coffee. Freshness. And the most critical time period for enjoying that freshness is consuming the coffee within 3 or 4 days after roasting. My research revealed a mantra uttered by coffee experts around the world, 'fresh roasted coffee always tastes better!'