Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Wake-Up! Coffee Van


My discovery of the freshness factor when it comes to coffee led me to ask the question, "How can I share my discovery with others?" The inspiration I received was about creating a way to roast and deliver my coffee as fresh as possible.

I have also been wanting to drive a vehicle that runs on biodiesel. In order to do this I needed a diesel engine. I began looking on craigslist for a diesel van (which is very hard to find). I found one available in my area. I contacted the owner who turned out to be someone who lived less than a mile up the road! (I live in a very rural area). He was selling an '82 Chevy G-20 van with a transplanted diesel engine. Problem was, he was told that the Fuel Injector Pump needed to be replaced which could cost into the thousands. I had a feeling this could be my van and went to take a look. When I saw it from the outside I knew it was perfect! Then I looked inside and saw the engine completely apart. If I wanted to proceed, I would have to have it towed to a garage for further inspection. Again, I had a feeling that this was my coffee van and gave my friend $200 (a 50% deposit), called AAA and had it towed to a garage in Medford.

As luck, and my intuition, would have it it turned out to be a clogged fuel filter. The garage replaced the fuel filters and put the engine back together for a total cost of $402. I gratefully paid my friend the $200 balance and drove my Wake-Up! Coffee van home.